in News Departments > New & Noteworthy
print the content item

Texas-based utility Austin Energy has successfully conducted back-to-back demand response events with the Demand Response Optimization and Management System (DROMS), a cloud-based platform from AutoGrid Systems.

Under Austin Energy's demand response initiative, consumers are allowed to select their own thermostat from a number of different manufacturers, including ecobee. The program also covers electric vehicle (EV) charging stations from ChargePoint. Consumers are free to opt out of individual events.

Using AutoGrid's DROMS platform, Austin Energy was able to plan and declare demand response events on July 11, 12, 25, 31 and Aug. 1.

According to AutoGrid, some of the highlights of the Austin Energy program include the following:

- Austin Energy was able to notify customers via email in addition to direct communication across different devices and channels of communication for automated participation in events.

- On the demand response event for July 11, 85% of the available ChargePoint EV charging stations and 80% of customers with ecobee thermostats enrolled in the program participated in the event.

- On July 12, 100% of ChargePoint stations participated and 90% of ecobee customers participated. The remaining 10%  of the customers opted out through the thermostat portal.




Hybrid Energy Innovations

Hybrid Energy Innovations 2015
Latest Top Stories

To Help Combat Costly Electricity Theft, Emerging Markets Turn To Smart Grid Infrastructure

According to a new report, the world loses a whopping $89.3 billion to electricity theft annually, and emerging country markets are feeling a majority of the pain.


Report: Utilities Face Big Revenue Cuts From Distributed Energy Resources

According to a new report from Accenture, the growth of solar and other resources, such as energy storage, could mean significant losses for utilities.


NextEra To Acquire Hawaiian Electric In $4.3 Billion Merger Deal

If approved, the agreement between the two energy companies would produce one of North America's largest renewable energy players.


EPA Racks Up Over 1.6 Million Comments On Carbon Pollution Plan

Months after the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency released its Clean Power Plan, which will create new regulations for existing power plants, the agency says it has received loads of feedback to consider.


Smart Grid Interest Continues To Spread Among U.S. Rural Utilities

A new survey gauges rural smart grid efforts across the country and offers key findings, one of which is that nearly all utilities polled are doing something to modernize their systems.

S&C Electric_id176
edf_id180