in News Departments > New & Noteworthy
print the content item

A family in Decatur, Ga., is claiming that a smart meter attached to their home has caused a fire.

The meter was installed by utility Georgia Power in 2010, according to a report from local news station WSB-TV Channel 2 Action News.

"All of our customers have been upgraded to [smart meters], and we've not had any safety issues," Mark Williams, a Georgia Power spokesperson, told Action News.

The utility and a county inspector both said a base box that is part of the house's wiring - not the smart meter itself - is to blame for the fire.

To read the full report, click here.





Hse SandyHook
Latest Top Stories

DOE Report: U.S. Wind Power Prices Reach All-Time Low

According to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), wind power continues to play a larger role in the U.S.' energy mix and is the cheapest it has ever been in the country.


Survey Reveals What U.S. Consumers Expect From Their Utilities

GE's new survey measures Americans' views on the state and future of the grid, as well as how much extra consumers would be willing to pay for better power reliability.


How A GIS Can Help Utilities Address The Aging Workforce And Capitalize On Data

Baby Boomers, whose experience and know-how have served the utility industry so well for decades, are retiring. The author suggests utilities can use a geographic information system (GIS) to fill in resultant knowledge gaps.


Sensus Smart Meters Tied To More Overheating Incidents And Fires

SaskPower is investigating two new meter failures, and Portland General Electric is working to replace 70,000 Sensus units amid fire concerns.


SaskPower Halts Smart Meter Installations Following Fires

The Canadian utility has suspended its smart meter deployment as it investigates half a dozen fires associated with the meters.

S&C Electric_id176
edf_id180