in News Departments > New & Noteworthy
print the content item

A family in Decatur, Ga., is claiming that a smart meter attached to their home has caused a fire.

The meter was installed by utility Georgia Power in 2010, according to a report from local news station WSB-TV Channel 2 Action News.

"All of our customers have been upgraded to [smart meters], and we've not had any safety issues," Mark Williams, a Georgia Power spokesperson, told Action News.

The utility and a county inspector both said a base box that is part of the house's wiring - not the smart meter itself - is to blame for the fire.

To read the full report, click here.




Hybrid Energy Innovations

Hybrid Energy Innovations 2015
Latest Top Stories

To Help Combat Costly Electricity Theft, Emerging Markets Turn To Smart Grid Infrastructure

According to a new report, the world loses a whopping $89.3 billion to electricity theft annually, and emerging country markets are feeling a majority of the pain.


Report: Utilities Face Big Revenue Cuts From Distributed Energy Resources

According to a new report from Accenture, the growth of solar and other resources, such as energy storage, could mean significant losses for utilities.


NextEra To Acquire Hawaiian Electric In $4.3 Billion Merger Deal

If approved, the agreement between the two energy companies would produce one of North America's largest renewable energy players.


EPA Racks Up Over 1.6 Million Comments On Carbon Pollution Plan

Months after the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency released its Clean Power Plan, which will create new regulations for existing power plants, the agency says it has received loads of feedback to consider.


Smart Grid Interest Continues To Spread Among U.S. Rural Utilities

A new survey gauges rural smart grid efforts across the country and offers key findings, one of which is that nearly all utilities polled are doing something to modernize their systems.

S&C Electric_id176
edf_id180